New Delhi: Former India captain and opener Sunil Gavaskar (Sunil Gavaskar) has turned 71 today. The contribution he has made to Team India can never be forgotten. He was born on 10 July 1949 in Mumbai. He set many benchmarks in Test cricket, which today’s cricketers also follow. During his time, the legendary West Indies cricketer was also frightened by Sunny’s batting. Today we are going to tell you about the records of this little master, which testifies to his greatness.
- Gavaskar exploded as soon as he started his career in Test cricket. In 1971, he scored 774 runs in the debut Test series played against the West Indies. The world record that Sunny made in her debut series has not been broken till date.
- Sunil Gavaskar’s name was the record for most centuries in Test cricket. He broke the record of 29 centuries of great Australian batsman Sir Don Bradman and made 34 centuries at the end of his career. In 2005, his record was broken by Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar.
- Sunil Gavaskar is the first batsman in the world to have scored 10,000 runs in Test cricket. He has recorded 10,122 runs in his entire Test career. Later, Australia’s Alan Border scored 11,174, breaking this record of Sunny. Sachin also broke the record of Alan Border.
- Sunil Gavaskar is the first cricketer in the world to set a record of playing 100 Test matches. Today Sachin has the record to play the most (200) Test matches in his name.
- Little Master’s name holds the world record for highest runs and most centuries against West Indies. Against the Windies, he has scored 2,749 runs in 48 innings of 27 matches at an average of 65.45, including 13 centuries and 7 half-centuries.
- Sunil Gavaskar is the first batsman to score a century in both innings of a Test match 3 times.
- Sunny is the first cricketer from India to have taken more than 100 catches in Test cricket.
- Gavaskar holds the record for scoring the most centuries (81) in first-class cricket, later Sachin Tendulkar also equalled the Little Master by scoring the same number of centuries.