Chennai: Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived on a day-long visit to Tamil Nadu and Kerala on 14 February today. Prime Minister Modi handed over 118 Arjun tanks to the Indian Army in Chennai. PM Modi also inaugurated the Chennai Metro Rail Phase-1 extension built in Tamil Nadu for Rs 3,770 crore. Watch PM Modi Tamilnadu Visit Live Update here:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi handed over 118 state-of-the-art Arjun Tank to the Indian Army in Chennai (PM Narendra Modi Visit to Tamilnadu). The Arjun Tank (MK-1A) has been developed by the Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO). These battle tanks joined the Indian Army fleet today.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who visited Tamil Nadu, flagged off passenger service from Washermenpet to Vimco Nagar while inaugurating the Chennai Metro Rail Phase-1 extension for Rs 3,770 crore. The 9.05 km long extension of Chennai Metro will connect North Chennai with the airport and the Central Railway Station.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the fourth railway line between ‘Chennai Beach and Attipattu’. The 22.1 km railway line, constructed for Rs 293.40 crore, passes through Chennai and Thiruvallur districts. With the construction of this, traffic will reduce in and around Chennai port. It connects Chennai port and Ennore port.
- The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone for expansion, renovation and modernization of the Grand Anicut Canal System here. This canal is very important for irrigation in the delta districts. The canal will be modernized for Rs 2,640 crore, which will increase the water carrying capacity in the canals.
- Prime Minister Modi also inaugurated the electrification of single-line railway section at Villupuram-Cuddalore-Mayiladuthurai-Thanjavur and Mayiladuthurai-Thiruvarur. The electrification of this 228 km long route, completed for Rs 423 crore, will ensure smooth traffic between Chennai Egmore and Kanyakumari without changing the traction. This will save fuel of about 14.61 lakh rupees per day.
- Modi inaugurated the 9.01 kilometre-long section of the metro connecting Washermanpet to Wimco Nagar in North Chennai at a grand function at Nehru Indoor Stadium. An expenditure of Rs 3,770 crore has been incurred in this project.
- He also laid the foundation stone for a Discovery Campus at IIT Madras, which will be constructed in the first phase in the nearby theatre at an estimated cost of Rs 1,000 crore. The campus will be constructed in an area of two lakh square kilometres.
- Prime Minister Modi said that I am very happy to come to Chennai today. I thank those who live in this great city. I thank you for the warm welcome. The city of Chennai is a storehouse of knowledge.
- PM Modi said that many important projects were inaugurated here today. These projects will play an important role in the development of Tamil Nadu.
- Prime Minister Modi said that I praise the farmers of Tamil Nadu. The farmers here grew a record amount of food grains. The farmers here make proper use of the means of irrigation.
- The Prime Minister said that the farmers here are prosperous. If the farmers are prosperous then the country also becomes prosperous.
- PM Modi said that despite the Corona epidemic, all the projects were completed on time. This is a big deal Chennai’s metro rail project is becoming increasingly large. The government’s focus on the transport of cities will improve the lifestyle.
- Prime Minister Modi paid tribute to the martyrs of Pulwama attack. He said that no Indian can forget that day. The Pulwama attack took place two years ago. We salute all the soldiers who were martyred in the attack. We are proud of our security forces. His bravery inspires our generation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that Tamil Nadu is becoming the tank manufacturing hub of the country.
In Kerala, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate the PDPP project of Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited to the country. Apart from this, PM Modi will inaugurate the international cruise terminal Sagarika at Cochin Port. RoRo ship will also be dedicated to the nation today by PM Modi.
Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, Kerala Governor Arif Mohammad Khan, Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan will be present along with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on this occasion.