Mumbai: A rescue mission of the ship Barge P-305 trapped in the sea after Cyclone Tauktae in the Arabian Sea is still going on. The Indian Navy has safely saved 186 out of 273 people trapped in the ship, while the bodies of 26 people have been recovered so far. At the same time, 61 people are still missing.
‘We have not given up hope yet’
A naval officer said on Wednesday that the barge ship was stuck in the sea some distance off the coast of Mumbai due to the cyclone and then sank. Since then, the weather is very bad, but after this, the soldiers have saved 186 people out of the 273 people on the barge P-305. Out of this, two people have been saved from thugboat‘ warprada. He said that the search and rescue operation is still going on, and we have not given up hope of bringing people safe to the coast yet. However, the expectation of people getting safe is diminishing with time.
The operation is being carried out with the help of helicopters
A Navy spokesman said that all the people present on the two other barges and an oil rig are safe. Officials said that 196 people on SS-3, and 101 on the oil rig Sagar Bhushan, are safe. Through the ships of ONGC and SCI, they are being brought to the coast safely. INS Talwar is also deployed in the area to help in rescue and relief operations. Apart from this, search and rescue operations are being carried out with the help of INS Teg, INS Betwa, INS Beas, P81 aircraft and helicopters.
‘The most challenging search operation of 4 decades’
A naval officer said that 3 barges and an oil rig with 707 personnel were trapped in the sea on Monday. These include ‘P305’ barge with 273 people, ‘GAL constructor’ with 137 personnel and SS-3 barge with 196 personnel present. Also, the ‘Sagar Bhushan’ oil rig was trapped in the sea, in which 101 personnel were present. Vice Admiral Muralidhar Sadashiv Pawar, Deputy Chief of Naval Staff said that this is the most challenging search and rescue operation in the last 4 decades.